Error message after you change "Date and Time" or "Regional Options" on a computer that is running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2: "Failed to connect to remote server"
You change Date and Time
or Regional Options
on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, if these changes are not valid for the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate date range, you may receive one of the following error messages:Error message 1
Failed to connect to remote serverError message 2
An error occurred while trying to connect to the server
Additionally, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- You cannot start the computer.
- You cannot exit Limited Access Mode.
- You cannot add computer use time.
This problem occurs when the system time is incorrect. Because SSL certificates and provisioning packets are only valid for certain dates, an SSL connection cannot be established. If the dates that are reported by the computer’s system time or by the time zone are incorrect, the certificates or the packets appear to be expired, or they appear to be not yet valid. The computer time and date settings may be incorrect for the following reasons:
- The computer was shipped across time zones.
- Someone has tampered with the computer.
- A user has set the incorrect time.
- A power outage or a dead battery may have reset the computer date to January 1.
- A conversion problem occurs when Windows makes automatic time adjustments.
To work around this problem, you must correct both the Date and Time
property and the Time Zone
property. To do this, follow these steps.Note
You can make these changes in Full Access Mode or in Limited Access Mode.
- Click Start, click Run, type timedate.cpl, and then click OK. The Data and Time Properties dialog box opens.
- Make sure that the date and time settings are correct, and then click OK.
- Click the Time Zone tab, and then select the correct time zone.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Article ID: 938355 - Last Review: 06/21/2014 13:22:00 - Revision: 2.0