A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation components
Technical update, April 8, 2008
The rerelease of this update contains fixes for two issues:
- Resolved issue in which performing a system restore back to the release version (RTM version) immediately after updating to Service Pack 1 may cause problems with servicing.
- Changed the way boot drivers are validated to improve boot time performance.
Before Windows Vista SP1 is released, these prerequisite updates will be delivered to most users through Windows Update as part of regularly scheduled monthly updates. These updates will be installed together with other updates that will require that you restart the computer. Therefore, an additional restart will not be required. This delivery method will help simplify installation of the required updates.
If you decide to install Windows Vista SP1 by using the stand-alone installer instead of by using Windows Update, you will not have to install the prerequisite updates separately. The prerequisite updates will be installed by the stand-alone installer if they are necessary. The following three updates are required before you install Windows Vista SP1. However, these updates are also recommended if you do not intend to install Windows Vista SP1. These updates help improve reliability and performance when you install future individual updates from Microsoft:
- 935509 A software update is available for versions of Windows Vista that include the Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption featureUpdate 935509 lets you correctly service Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption-capable computers. This update only applies to the following versions of Windows Vista that include Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption:
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Update 938371 updates Windows Vista in order to install or to remove Service Pack 1 more reliably. For more information, see the "Update information" section.
- 937287 A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software featureUpdate 937287 is a prerequisite package that contains updates to the Windows Vista installation software. The installation software is the component that handles the installation and removal of software updates, language packs, optional Windows features, and service packs. This update is necessary to successfully install and remove Windows Vista SP1 on all versions of Windows Vista. This update will be available on the Windows Update Web site soon after the release of update 935509 and before the release of Windows Vista SP1.
Update informationThe original release of Update 938371 updates several internal components that Windows Vista requires in order to install or to remove Windows Vista Service Pack 1 more reliably. This update must be applied separately before you install Windows Vista SP1 to make sure that Windows Vista SP1 can be installed or removed from the computer. Update 938371 is necessary to install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 on all versions of Windows Vista.
Update 938371 is available from the Windows Update Web site. To obtain this update, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Security.
- Under Windows Update, click Check for updates.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
Update removal informationYou cannot remove this update.
Windows PE informationThis software update does not apply to Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) for the release version of Windows Vista. Therefore, you cannot install Windows Vista SP1 in Windows PE for the release version of Windows Vista. If you want to run Windows PE for Windows Vista SP1, you must perform a clean installation of Windows PE for Windows SP1.
Article ID: 938371 - Last Review: 06/29/2011 00:01:00 - Revision: 3.5
- kbexpertisebeginner kbinfo KB938371