Frequently asked questions about Outlook Connector 12.1
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When Microsoft Office Outlook Connector 12.1 is installed, you can use Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to access and to manage a Windows Live Hotmail account or a Microsoft Office Live Mail account.
Outlook Connector 12.1 has been replaced by Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0. For more information on the 14.0 version of the Outlook Hotmail Connector, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
- Outlook Connector does not synchronize unless I click Send/Receive in Outlook 2003. Is that expected?
Yes. This behavior is expected. Outlook 2003 does not send and receive e-mail messages automatically like Outlook 2007 does. If you use Outlook 2003, click Send/Receive in order to force synchronization. Or, schedule an automatic send-and-receive operation. To schedule an automatic send-and-receive operation, point to Send/Receive on the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
- What is the correct version for Outlook Connector 12.1?The release version of Outlook Connector 12.1 is 12.0.6414.1000. To verify the version of Outlook Connector. follow these steps:
- Open Outlook
- Go to Outlook Connector/About Outlook Connector
- The version will be displayed in the About Outlook Connector dialogIf the version is equal or higher than 12.0.6414.1000, then Outlook Connector 12.1 is installed.
- My Calendar data is stored in a MSN Premium account, can I migrate it to the Windows Live Calendar?
Yes, please install the OLC 12.1 on the same machine you are currently using OLC 12.0 or 12.1 on and connect to your Premium account - OLC B2 will automatically migrate your data to WLC. Note that items created or changed in the MSN Calendar after migration will no longer be synched to OLC, as WLC will have become your web calendar. If you want to continue using your MSN calendar for the time being, please continue using OLC 12.0.
- Can I synchronize my default calendar to Windows Live Calendar once I install Outlook Connector 12.1?
Outlook Connector only allows you to synchronize your Windows Live Calendar between Outlook and the Windows Live Calendar website. If you have a separate calendar in Outlook, Outlook Connector 12.1 does not allow you to synchronize it to Windows Live Calendar.
- Why can I not connect?
In addition to an Internet connection and an installed copy of Outlook, Outlook Connector has one other requirement. Accounts must be updated to the new Windows Live Hotmail. To update your account, follow one of these procedures, and then try to connect by using Outlook Connector:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site, and then click Update your account now:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site, sign in by using your Windows Live ID and password, and then click the green Join Windows Live Hotmail button in the upper-left corner:
- If you continue to have trouble connecting, restart Outlook. If this does not resolve the issue, contact Microsoft. To provide your feedback, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Why do more items go to my Outlook Junk folder than to my Windows Live Hotmail Junk folder or than to my Office Live Mail Junk folder?
Outlook Connector uses Outlook's junk e-mail filter in addition to the Hotmail junk filter. Therefore, more items may be marked as "junk" in Outlook than in Windows Live Hotmail or than in Office Live Mail.
- Why do e-mail items that contain attachments not download when I use Outlook Connector?
There is a known issue with some proxy servers that prevents Outlook Connector from downloading e-mail items that contain attachments. This issue is most common in corporate environments in which proxy servers are used more frequently. Messages that contain attachments can still be downloaded and viewed from Windows Live Hotmail or from Office Live Mail if you experience this problem.
- Why do flagged items in my Outlook Connector Inbox not appear on the To-Do bar when I also have another account in my profile?
The integration of the To-Do bar is only supported if the Outlook Connector account is the primary account.
When the Outlook Connector account is the primary account, new tasks that are created can be seen in the To-Do bar. However, flagged e-mail message items appear in the Inbox.
- I want to use a mixed-language configuration, such as the English version of Outlook together with the Japanese version of the Outlook Connector. Are mixed-language configurations supported?
No. Microsoft officially supports Outlook Connector when Outlook Connector is in the same language as the Windows operating system and as the Office programs that are installed on the computer.
- Why are my messages not saved to the Hotmail Drafts folder?
If your Hotmail account is a secondary account in Outlook, a draft e-mail message will be saved to the Drafts folder of the primary account. The e-mail message will not be saved to the Drafts folder of the Hotmail account. Additionally, the draft will not synchronize to the Hotmail account.
- Why are contact names reset to e-mail addresses in distribution lists?
This is due to a limitation of the way names of contacts that belong to distribution lists are stored by Windows Live. If you save a member as a contact, the individual contact card is saved with the appropriate contact name, but in the distribution list the name field is replaced with the e-mail address of that contact.
- After installing Outlook Connector as part of Windows Live, a message is displayed indicating that Outlook cannot be started correctly.
This can occur if your computer is pending reboot and Outlook is not closed when the Windows Live Essentials is installed. In order to avoid this from happening, please reboot your restart your computer and close Outlook before installing Windows Live Essentials. If you incur into this issue, please restart your computer and Outlook will boot correctly.
- After I synchronize recurring meetings from Outlook to my Windows Mobile device they are seven hours behind the correct time.This is a known issue if the meetings were originally created on a Windows Live Calendar and then synchronized with Outlook using the Outlook Connector. Please install the latest version of the Outlook Connector to fix this problem.
- On a machine with the Outlook Connector installed, another MAPI application I use no longer functions correctly.This is a known issue with the Outlook Connector because it inadvertently destroys Winsock connections on the client. Please install the latest version of the Outlook Connector to fix this problem.
- Some of my meetings and appointments on my Windows Live Calendar are missing.This is a known issue with the Outlook Connector when it synchronizes a calendar with more than 250 items to your Windows Live Calendar. To prevent this problem, please install the latest version of the Outlook connector.
Article ID: 939894 - Last Review: 05/02/2012 23:41:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- kbemail kbcalendar kbexpertisebeginner kbfaq kbtshoot kbinfo KB939894