How do I fix the problem that I experience after I install an automatic update for Word 2007 on a Windows Vista-based computer?
- The mouse does not work when you use Word.
- You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows Vista.
- You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
- Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
- Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
- Word crashes when you save a document.
- Word crashes when you close a document.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the “Fix it for me” section. If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the “Let me fix it myself” section.
Fix it for me
Note This wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
Note If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
Now go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myself
To resolve this problem, delete the
- Exit all Office programs.
- Click Start , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
- On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart Word.
Did this fix the problem?
Article ID: 940791 - Last Review: 09/18/2011 11:01:00 - Revision: 6.0
- kbmsifixme kbfixme kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot kbprb KB940791