MS07-062: Vulnerability in DNS could allow spoofing
Known issues with this security updateOn a Windows Server 2003-based computer that has security update 941672 installed, you may experience the following issues:
- A DNS server consumes increasing amounts of memory over time. In extreme cases, the DNS server may consume about 2.8 gigabytes (GB) of memory on an x86-based domain controller that has 4 GB of RAM installed.
- A DNS server consumes more CPU resources than expected. In extreme cases, CPU usage for the DNS server may reach 100 percent.
- DNS stops responding after several days of run time. When you restart the operating system on the DNS server or when you restart DNS, DNS functions as expected until a certain threshold of leaked memory is reached again.
- Computers that have security update 941672 installed become unresponsive to logon requests at the console. Or, they become unresponsive to administration from the local console or from a remote console.
- Operations that depend on DNS name resolution fail. Such operations include, but are not limited to, the following operations:
- Logon requests (CTRL+ALT+DEL) from domain members
- Active Directory directory service replication
- Mail flow
- DNS zones do not load, or they take longer than expected to load. Additionally, zone transfer may fail between primary and secondary DNS servers.
- On DNS servers that have security update 941672 installed, the following event is logged in the event log:
Event Type: ErrorNote The "08 00 00" extended error code may appear as "000008" in the data section of the event.
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Computer: computer name
Description: The DNS server could not create a thread. System may be out of resources. You might close applications not in use, restart the DNS server or reboot your computer. The event data is the error code. Data: 0000: 08 00 00
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:946565 On a Windows Server 2003-based computer that has the update from security bulletin MS07-062 installed, you may experience a memory leak in DNS
Article ID: 941672 - Last Review: 07/18/2012 16:47:00 - Revision: 4.0
- kbexpertiseadvanced kbqfe kbsecurity kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability kbbug kbfix KB941672