This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
After you run the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) Wizard on a Windows Vista-based computer, and then you restart the computer for the first time, you may find that the wrong language is applied. For example, this problem may occur in the following scenario:
The Serbian (SR-latn-cs) language pack is applied to a factory image of Windows Vista.
Language packs for other languages are also applied to the same factory image of Windows Vista.
A partially localized language pack is selected in the OOBE Wizard. For example, Ukrainian is selected, or a language other than Serbian is selected.
In this scenario, Windows Vista starts correctly, and the correct language is applied. However, after the computer is restarted, the wrong language is applied. For example, the Serbian language is applied as the default language after the computer is restarted.
NoteA partially localized language pack contains most of, but not all, the language resources for the user interface in Windows Vista. To provide a full user interface, a partially localized language pack depends on a base language pack. For example, Ukrainian is a partially localized language pack, and approximately 80 percent of the language resources in this language pack have been localized into Ukrainian. The remaining 20 percent of the language resources may be in either English or French. Both English and French are fully localized languages.
For more information about the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) in Windows Vista, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
935791 How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
To apply this hotfix, you must use the files that are included in this update to update the Windows installation source files. For information about how to do this, see the OEM preinstall kit (OPK) documentation.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
No prerequisites are required.
You must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate