Error message when you connect a Windows Media Center Extender device to a computer that is running Windows Vista Media Center: "Extender did not connect"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you connect a Windows Media Center Extender device to a computer that is running Windows Vista Media Center, you receive the following error message:
Extender did not connect.
The Extender was set up successfully, but has failed to connect to this computer
Also, on the Windows Media Center Extender device screen, the Media Center logo is displayed with a connecting status. However, the program does not proceed to the main menu.
This problem can occur when the computer that is running Windows Vista Media Center is configured to use fingerprint readers or other software to help create a secure logon.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Verify that the Windows Media Center Extender device is connected correctly to the computer.
- Restart the Windows Media Center Extender device.
- If step 1 and step 2 do not resolve the problem, use one of the following methods to resolve this problem:
- Contact the security program vendor to obtain a compatible update.
- Determine whether the security program has settings that you must enable in order to use the program together with the Windows Media Center Extender device.
- If step 3 does not resolve the problem, uninstall the security program from the computer.
For more information about Windows Media Center Extender devices, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 941949 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 17:26:19 - Revision: 2.0
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbwinvistamediacenter kbexpertisebeginner kberrmsg kbtshoot KB941949