When you extract a compressed file that you downloaded from the Internet, the file's modified date changes to the date that you extracted it
Consider the following scenario:
- You download a compressed (zip) file from the Internet to a computer that is running one of the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Service Pack 2
- You save this file to a disk that is formatted by using the NTFS file system.
- You extract the files from the compressed file by using the Extract All Files wizard.
Note This problem does not occur when you use a third-party tool, such as WinZip, to extract the files.
This problem is a security feature of the Attachment Manager that is included in the operating system.
Use one of the methods to work around this problem.
Method 1: Unblock the compressed file
- Right-click the compressed file, and then click Properties.
- Click the General tab, click Unblock, and then click OK.
- Extract the files from the compressed file.
Method 2: Copy the file to a different locationNote This method works for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003.
- Double-click the compressed file.
- Use a drag-and-drop operation to move the file to another folder or to the desktop.
Internet Explorer has a Zone Identifier function. When you download a file from the Internet zone, this information is saved with the file. The Attachment Manager uses this function to handle the manipulation of downloaded files.For more information about how the Zone Identifier is used in Internet Explorer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
883260 Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Zone Id, Zip, download
Article ID: 942532 - Last Review: 10/16/2007 00:33:39 - Revision: 1.4
Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Starter, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- kbharmony kbprb kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot KB942532