Description of Expression Design Service Pack 1
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Microsoft has released a service pack for Microsoft Expression Design. This article includes information about how to obtain the service pack and about how to obtain a list of issues that the service pack fixes. Additionally, this article includes information about the issues that you may experience when you install the service pack and about how to determine whether the service pack is installed.
Microsoft Expression Design Service Pack 1 (SP1) contains significant improvements to Expression Design. Specifically, the service pack contains many fixes and improvements for the XAML export feature in Expression Design. These improvements are combined into a single update package.
Service pack details
List of issues that the service pack fixesExpression Design SP1 fixes the issues that are described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
942685 Issues that are fixed in Expression Design by Expression Design Service Pack 1
List of new features that the service pack includes
XAML Export user interface updateThe XAML Export user interface is changed to make it more intuitive to select the desired export settings.
Text as TextBlocksIn the release version of Expression Design, text is always converted to paths in XAML that is exported for Microsoft Silverlight. In Expression Design SP1, text can also be written as editable TextBlocks.
Optionally name objects during exportExpression Design SP1 contains an additional control that is named Always name objects on conversion. This control is used to determine how XAML objects are named when they are exported. This control modifies the behavior in Expression Design as follows:
- If the Always name objects on conversion control is selected, objects are always named during conversion. If you explicitly name a layer, a group, or an object, the name is preserved. If no name is specified, the object is given a default name.
- If the Always name objects on conversion control is not selected, only explicitly named objects will be exported. Layers are an exception to this rule. An XAML canvas that is created for layers is always named.
How to obtain and install the service packExpression Design SP1 is available at the Microsoft Download Center. To download this service pack and to obtain installation instructions, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
How to determine whether the service pack is installedAfter you install the service pack, Expression Design Service Pack 1, Version 4.0.29XX.0 is displayed when you click About on the Help menu in Expression Design.
The service pack contains files that have the versions that are listed in the following table.
|File name||File version||File size||Date|
Known issues during installation of the service packThe updated Help file is not automatically installed when you install the service pack. To install the updated Help file, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Expression Design SP1 Help File Web page:
- Download the Design.chm file, and then extract the Design.chm file from the .zip archive package.
- Copy the Design.chm file to the en folder in the Expression Design installation folder. By default, this folder resides in the following location: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Expression\Design 1.0\enNote You may want to back up the original Design.chm file before you copy the updated file to the en folder.
How to remove the service packYou cannot use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove this service pack. To remove Expression Design SP1 from the computer, you must remove Expression Design. Then, reinstall Expression Design from the original Expression Design CD-ROM.
Article ID: 942686 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 08:37:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Expression Design
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbexpertisebeginner atdownload kbdownload kbupdate kbfix KB942686