Batch files for which you create a hash rules do not work on a Windows XP-based client computer
- You set the default security levels to Disallowed.
- You create a new hash rule for some batch files.
- You set the security level to Unrestricted.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Software Restriction Policies
Event Category: None
Event ID: 865
Description:Access to Path\filename.bat has been restricted by your Administrator by the default software restriction policy level.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo install this hotfix, you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.
Restart requirementYou have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other previously released hotfixes.
Registry informationTo use this hotfix, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Windows XP with SP2, x86-based versions
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
- Open the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in, right-click the organizational unit to which you want to apply the software restriction policies, and then click Properties.
- On the Group Policy tab, click Add, and then click Edit to open Group Policy Object Editor.
- In Group Policy Object Editor, expand User Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Software Restriction Policies, and then set the security levels and additional rules.
Article ID: 943854 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 17:28:54 - Revision: 3.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbexpertiseadvanced kbfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver KB943854