You cannot install Windows Live OneCare and Forefront Client Security on the same computer
Existing subscribers will continue to be supported throughout the term of their subscriptions. Existing subscribers can reinstall by following the steps to download a trial, and can still add a PC to their existing OneCare circle.
Windows Live OneCare is no longer available for sale
Learn more about end of sale for OneCare.
On September 29th 2009, Microsoft introduced Microsoft Security Essentials, a FREE consumer anti-malware solution for Genuine Windows based PCs.
Learn more about Microsoft Security Essentials or download from Microsoft directly at: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx.
Scenario 1When you try to install Windows Live OneCare on a computer that has Forefront Client Security installed, the installation of Windows Live OneCare fails. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
One or more components of Windows Live OneCare did not install successfully. Please contact support for assistance with correcting this issue.
Error ID: 0020-80070643
Scenario 2When you try to install Forefront Client Security on a computer that has Windows Live OneCare installed, the installation of Forefront Client Security fails. Additionally, you experience the following symptoms:
- When you use the Clientsetup.exe command-line program, the program exits, you receive the following error message: Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed.
See log 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront\Client Security\Client\Logs\Clientsetup.log' for more information.
- When you call the command line program (Clientsetup.exe) programmatically from a script or from a batch file, the following error level is returned:ERRORLEVEL 1603
- The following information is logged in the Clientsetup.log file:
Time Microsoft Forefront Client Security (<versionnumber>) -- Installation startedTime Hardware requirement check passed.Time OS requirement check passed.Time Software requirement check passed.Time Microsoft Windows OneCare Live has been found. Please remove that product and rerun client setup.Time Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed.
- The following event is logged in the Application event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11724
Description: Microsoft Forefront Client Security -- Installation failed. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
If a university or an employer has licensed Forefront Client Security with home usage rights, you may be able to install Forefront Client Security on a home computer. If you already use Windows Live OneCare, you must decide which product you want to use. In this case, contact your corporate help desk or your university help desk to determine the following:
- Whether you can create a VPN connection to the network
- Whether the VPN connection requires a specific anti-malware product to be installed
Article ID: 946265 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 02:39:17 - Revision: 6.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbretire kberrorsandwarnings kbeventlog kberrmsg kbinstallation kbtshoot kbexpertisebeginner fep2010swept KB946265