The Windows Home Server client connector software cannot find the home server
When you try to install the Windows Home Server client connector software on a home computer, the installer tries to find the home server. The installer tries to find the home server by connecting to a Web service that is running on the home server. However, in some cases, the discovery process cannot find and connect to the home server.
This problem occurs because Internet Explorer is configured to use a proxy server.
To resolve this problem, configure Internet Explorer to bypass the proxy server for network traffic that is destined for your local network. This configuration lets the installer of the client connector software find the home server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer, and then click Tools.
- Click Internet Options.
- On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
- Click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box in the Proxy server area, click OK two times, and then close Internet Explorer.
- Reinstall the Windows Home Server client connector software.
To resolve this problem, you may also disable the proxy server option in Internet Explorer. In most cases, configuring Internet Explorer to use a proxy server is necessary only on a corporate network that routes all traffic that is destined for the Internet through a proxy server. However, there are scenarios in which disabling the proxy server may create other problems when you connect a computer to the Internet. You may have to configure a proxy server in the following scenarios:
- A proxy server may be required for Internet access if your computer is configured to remotely connect to a corporate network by using a remote access connection or a virtual private network (VPN) connection.
- Some Internet service providers may require a proxy server for Internet access.
- Some Parental Control software packages may require a proxy server to provide their content management functionality.
- Some dial-up accelerator software packages may require a proxy server to provide their acceleration functionality.
Article ID: 946412 - Last Review: 01/02/2008 23:51:26 - Revision: 1.1
Windows Home Server
- kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB946412