Article ID: 946937 - View products that this article applies to.
RAPID PUBLISHING ARTICLES PROVIDE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM WITHIN THE MICROSOFT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO EMERGING OR UNIQUE TOPICS, OR IS INTENDED SUPPLEMENT OTHER KNOWLEDGE BASE INFORMATION.
You may experience some of the following symptoms on the Windows Server 2003 computer:
1. On this server, you are unable to access shares on other computers.
2. On other computers, you are unable to access shares on this server. You may receive this error:
The network location cannot be Reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
3. If you run IPCONFIG, it shows "Netbios over Tcpip" as disabled. However, in the Network card properties GUI, the "Netbios over Tcpip" option is displayed as Enabled.
4. If you run NetDIAG on this server, you see messages like the following:
Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Failed
List of transports currently bound to the Redir
[FATAL] Unable to retrieve transport list from Redir.
5. If it is a Domain Controller, DCDiag shows many tests failings with Win32 Error code 1231. For example:
An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 1231,
Win32 Error 1231.
6. If it is a WINS server, when you try to open the WINS console, the error "Cannot find the WINS server" appears.
This may occur when registry entries for NetBT were corrupted, incorrect or missing. Normally, this issue occurs if the system has been compromised.
1. Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe), and check the following registry key:
2. Please find if the "TransportBindName" value exists. If either of them does not exist, create it. If either one is incorrect, change the data. The values should be like this:
3. Under the same registry key, if you find the "SMBDeviceEnabled" value exists and is 0, it means Direct Hosting is disabled. You may change it to 1 to turn on it unless there are requirements that this should be disabled.
120642 TCP/IP and NetBT configuration parameters for Windows 2000 or Windows NT
940684 Error message when you try to connect to a file server by using an alternative NetBIOS name in Windows Server 2003: "No network provider accepted the given network path"
searching keywords: Netdiag Network cannot reached system error 53 ERROR_NETWORK_UNREACHABLE nbt
MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.
Article ID: 946937 - Last Review: December 29, 2007 - Revision: 1.0