Error message when you select a data source in a protection group in System Center Data Protection Manager 2007: "This item cannot be protected because some prerequisite software is missing. (ID: 31008)"
When you do this, you may receive the following error message:
- The protected computer does not have one or more prerequisite software updates installed.
- The protected computer has the prerequisite software updates installed. However, the protection agent has not yet been updated.
Note By default, the protection agent is updated every 30 minutes.
Step 1: Verify that the protected computer has the appropriate updates installedVerify that the protected computer meets the protected computer software requirements. To view these requirements, visit the following Web site: Note Software update 940349 must be installed on the Data Protection Manager server and on each protected computer that is running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or a later version of Windows Server 2003.
For more information about software update 940349, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- If the data source is located on a server cluster, each cluster node must be updated.
- If the data source is located on a Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server farm, each member server of the farm must be updated.
- This requirement also includes any instances of SQL Server that may be used as a back end for the farm.
Step 2: Update the protection agentAfter the prerequisite software updates have been installed, update the protection agent. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start the Data Protection Manager 2007 Administrator Console, and then click the Management tab.
- Click the Agents tab, and then click Refresh information in the Action pane.
- Verify that OK appears in the Agent Status column for each protected server.
- Click the Protection tab, and then follow these steps:
- Create a new protection group, or modify an existing protection group.
- Select a data source.
Article ID: 947470 - Last Review: 01/06/2009 17:09:51 - Revision: 2.0
- kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb KB947470