Description of the update for Office 2003: December 9, 2008
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2003. This update resolves the issue in which an Office 2003 update installation is unsuccessful if the Office Source Engine service (Ose.exe) is disabled.
How to obtain and install the updateThe update for Microsoft Office 2003 is located at the Microsoft Download Center. To download this update, and to obtain installation instructions and deployment strategies, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site.
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the update package now.
Release Date: December 9, 2008
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
How to determine whether the update is installedThe update for Microsoft Office 2003 contains files that have the version that is listed in the following table.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
Use the "Add or Remove Programs" tool to determine whether the update for Microsoft Office 2003 is installed.
- The update for Microsoft Office 2003 does not install any files on the computer. Instead, the update changes the cached Office 2003 MSI file that is used during update operations.
- If the Office Source Engine service is disabled, the value of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ose\Start registry entry is set to 4. This behavior may occur when a user manually changes the value of the registry entry. Or, this behavior may occur when certain third-party performance tools or third-party repair tools are run. The update for Microsoft Office 2003 does not affect the performance or reliability of Office 2003.
- When the update for Microsoft Office 2003 is installed on a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, you may have to restart the computer for the update to take effect. You may not be notified to restart the computer.
- If you use Microsoft Update, Automatic Updates, or Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), you are offered the update for Microsoft Office 2003 only if the Office Source Engine service is disabled.
Information for administrators about .msp filesThe update for Microsoft Office 2003 consists of a full-file Microsoft Windows Installer file (.msp file). The .msp file is packaged in a self-extracting executable file. The following .msp file is distributed in this update:
Information for administrators about how to reinstall specific componentsIf you update the administrative installation point and then recache and reinstall Office 2003 on client computers, you can run a command line that includes the REINSTALL=[list of features] property. This property specifies whether you want to reinstall specific components of Office 2003 from the administrative image. For the Microsoft Office 2003 update, the value for [list of features] is set to All.
For detailed procedures that explain how to update an administrative image and how to update client computers, see the "Updating clients from a patched administrative image" section in the "Distributing Office 2003 Product Updates" topic. To view this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Issues that are resolved by this updateUpdate for Microsoft Office 2003 resolves the issues that are mentioned in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
903774 If you disable the Ose.exe file, Microsoft Office updates do not install when you use Microsoft Windows Server Update Services or the Microsoft Update Web site to deploy software updates and hotfixes to computers in the organization
903772 You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office 2003 by using Software Update ServicesNote The update for Microsoft Office 2003 resolves the issue in Knowledge Base article 903772 when the Office Source Engine service is disabled. However, the update for Microsoft Office 2003 does not resolve the issue in Knowledge Base article 903772 when the Office Source Engine service is corrupted.
2003, patch, security, stability, update, critical, Office
Article ID: 949074 - Last Review: 12/09/2008 19:16:26 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Students and Teachers Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003, Microsoft Office Access 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003, Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003, Microsoft Office Publisher 2003, Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003, Microsoft Office OneNote 2003, Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003, Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003, Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003, Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2003
- kbexpertiseinter kbhowto kbinfo atdownload kbdownload kbupdate kbfix KB949074