Earlier version of Word document doesn’t open in Word 2008 for Mac
To resolve this issue, download and install the latest Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac updates:
- Start any Office for Mac application on your computer.
- Click Help menu, click Check for Updates.
- Under How would you like to check for software updates, click Automatically. Click the Check for Updates button.
The latest version of Office 2008 for Mac is 12.3.6. This update is also available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Workaround 1 Use the File/Open option to open the file
- Start the Word for Mac application.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Convert File window, scroll down and select Recover Text from any file. If you get a warning, click OK.
Note Some formatting might change.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Format list, select Word Document (.docx), then click Save. Refer the following screen shot.
Try opening the file by using an earlier version of Word for Mac such as Word 2004 or Apple TextEditor. Some old Word documents can be opened in TextEdior with basic formatting.
Workaround 2 Use an earlier version of Word for Mac or Apple TextEdit
Third-party information disclaimer
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
If you cannot open the file by using these workarounds, search for a backup copy in a Time Machine backup, in your email (if you ever sent the file to someone), on a network share, on a phone, or on a flash drive. If you cannot open the file, it may be corrupted.
For information about how to troubleshoot this issue, see Troubleshooting damaged documents in Word for Mac.
Ways to open a document in Word 2008 for Mac:
- Double-click the document.
- Drag a document to the Word 2008 for Mac program icon.
- Drag a document to the Word 2008 for Mac program icon that is in the Dock.
- Run an AppleScript that uses the Finder to open a Microsoft Word document.
|File type||Operating system type and extension|
|Microsoft Word 1.x-5.x document||GLOS|
|Microsoft Word 1.x-5.x document||WDBN/doc|
|Microsoft Word 1.x-5.x stationery document||sDBN/doc|
|Microsoft Word document||PDBN|
|Microsoft Word document||SITD|
|Microsoft Word HTML stationery document||sTML|
|Microsoft Word RTF stationery document||sTF|
Note that Word for Mac does not support Works (wps) or Publisher (pub) files. Both of these programs do not have a Mac OS counterpart, therefore, cannot be opened on Mac OS.
Article ID: 953266 - Last Review: 12/08/2015 06:49:00 - Revision: 29.0
Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac, Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
- dftsdahomeportal kbopenfile kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb kbconsumer kbquadranttechsupp KB953266