Error message when you try to uninstall a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition hotfix package: "1731 The source installation package for the product  is out of sync with the client package"
- Check the Summary.txt file in the %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix directory to see whether the following error is logged: 1706: Source is invalid due to missing/inaccessibleIf this error is logged, go to step 2.
- Determine the version of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition that you are currently running. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:321185 How to identify your SQL Server version and edition
- Save one of the following packages, depending on the version of SQL Server 2005 that you are running. Do not run the package.
SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=31711D5D-725C-4AFA-9D65-E4465CDFF1E7&displaylang=enSQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services Service Pack 2http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B5528B9-13E1-4DB9-A3FC-82116D598C3D&displaylang=enSQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit Service Pack 2
- At a command prompt, extract the package into the following directory:%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Baseline Cache\Edition\SP2Note The Edition placeholder represents one of the following values:
- To extract the package, run a command that resembles the following:Name of package /X:PathFor example, run the following command:SQLEXPR.EXE /X:"%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Baseline Cache\Express\SP2"For a 32-bit instance of SQL Server 2005 on an x64-based computer, run the following command:SQLEXPR.EXE /X:"%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Baseline Cache\Express\SP2"For other versions, such as DEVELOPER, the steps are the same. However, the Server folder and the Tools folder must be copied from the SQL Server 2005 disc to the Edition\SP2 folder in this step.
- Uninstall the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition hotfix package again.
- Delete the cache location that was created in step 4 to prevent Windows Installer from accessing the incorrect media during future installation or uninstallation operations. For example, delete the following folder: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Baseline Cache\Edition\SP2
Article ID: 955250 - Last Review: 09/17/2011 08:55:00 - Revision: 4.0
- kbuninstall kbtshoot kbPubTypeKC kberrmsg kbprb KB955250