This problem occurs because of a behavior change introduced in hotfix 949225.
This change adds 90 second delay to make sure that all task sequences are executed on the System Center Configuration Manager client-side when many task sequences are assigned to a client at the same time. However, it causes a side effect that a task sequence takes longer to run if it contains many packages.
Service Pack Information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007, available from this Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3318741a-c038-4ab1-852a-e9c13f8a8140
For a list of issues resolved in this service pack, click on the following article number in the Microsoft Knowledgebase:
List of hotfixes and updates that are contained in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 2
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
You must have System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 installed to apply this hotfix.
You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix package.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time
item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
|Mp.msi||Not Applicable||8,814,080||20-Jul-2008||18:20||Not Applicable|
|Sccm2007ac-sp1-kb955955-x86.msp||Not Applicable||463,360||30-Nov-2008||19:45||Not Applicable|
This hotfix must be installed only on affected SMS Client computers.
To simplify the distribution of this hotfix, the hotfix installer automatically creates a package and a program that contain the SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86.msp file. The SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86-ENU.exe file creates only the package and the program. Before you can successfully install the hotfix package on SMS Advanced Clients, you must create an advertisement and target all SCCM 2007 SP1 Advanced Clients for distribution. To do this, follow these steps:
- Double-click the SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86-ENU.exe file, and then follow the instructions to create the package and the program.
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft System Center, click Configuration Manager 2007, and then click ConfigMgr Console.
- In the Configuration Manager Console, expand Computer Management, expand Software Distribution, expand Packages, right-click KB955955 - Advanced Client Hotfix - SCM, point to Distribute, and then click Software.
- Follow the instructions in the Distribute Software Wizard to advertise and deploy the hotfix package.
If you want to manually install the hotfix on an SMS client computer, you can install the SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86.msp file from the command line on the SMS Client computer as follows:
msiexec.exe /P SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86.msp /L*v %temp% \ SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86.log /q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=mous Note
placeholder is the location of the installation log file. The SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB955955-X86.log
placeholder is the name of the installation log file.
Install KB955955 during a task sequence
For operating system deployments, the KB955955 hotfix must be installed during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence in the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr
task. Otherwise, the problem will continue to occur while the task sequence is executed. Additionally, the Install Software
task cannot be used to install the hotfix. Trying to do this will cause the ConfigMgr 2007 client service to stop, which will cause the task sequence to fail.
To install the KB955955 hotfix during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence, use the PATCH=
option that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
How to include an update in the initial installation of Systems Management Server 2003 Advanced Client
To install the KB955955 hotfix during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence, follow these steps:
- Apply the hotfix on the site server.
- When the hotfix has been applied on the site server, the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files will be updated to include the KB955955 hotfix in the directory \i386\hotfix\KB955955\ of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files. Because the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files have been updated, make sure to update the distribution points where the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package resides.
- Right-click the task sequence that you need to change, and then click Edit.
- Click Setup windows and ConfigMgr.
- In the Installation properties box, type the following:
- The <Package_ID> placeholder is the package ID of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package in ConfigMgr 2007.
- Make sure that you include the quotation marks as part of the path. However, do not include the brackets that are around the placeholder.
- Make sure that the package ID of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package is used and not the package ID of the KB955955 hotfix package.
- The _SMSTaskSequence cache folder will reside on the drive that has the most disk space. If the computer has multiple drives or partitions, the _SMSTaskSequence folder may end up on a drive other than drive C. In this scenario, change the path to point to the drive that contains the _SMSTaskSequence folder. We do not recommend that you use the variable _SMSTSMDataPath in the path because the drive letter in this path can enumerate differently in Windows PE and in the full Windows operating system.
- As an alternative to using the local path that points to the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files that are located in the local Task Sequence cache, you can specify a UNC path that points to the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files on the original package source or on a distribution point.
- Verify the name of the .msp file that is located in the \i386\hotfix\KB955955\ directory of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files. The name may differ depending on the locale. If the name differs from the name of the .msp file name that is used in the PATCH= command line in this step, adjust the name accordingly.
- Click Apply or OK to save the task sequence.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.