Software updates are required before Internet Explorer 8 is installed on a Windows Vista computer
This article describes what to do when you cannot install Internet Explorer 8 on a computer that is running Windows Vista.
Note Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions do not need any prerequisites.
To Install Internet Explorer on a computer that is running Windows Vista, make sure that your computer is up to date. To check for updates, follow these steps:
Things to Try
- Open Windows Update. To do this, by click Start , click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
- In the navigation pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If any updates are found, click Install updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Note Make sure that you install all available updates so that Internet Explorer can install successfully.
- Restart your computer.
- Go to the following webpage: Internet Explorer 8: Worldwide sites
- Follow the instructions to download and install Internet Explorer 8.
- Restart your computer.
For more information about how to use Windows Update in Windows Vista
For more advanced users, or if you do not want to install all the available updates, the following two software updates are required before you install Internet Explorer 8 on a Windows Vista computer:
Note Install these updates in the order in which they appear.
- 949939 Description of a prerequisite software update for Windows Vista update 937287: April 8, 2008The following files for Windows Vista are available from the Microsoft Download Center:
- Download the Update for Windows Vista x86-based Systems: Update for Windows Vista (KB949939)
- Download the Update for Windows Vista x64-based Systems: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB949939)
- 937287 A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software featureThe following files for Windows Vista are available from the Microsoft Download Center:
- Download the Update for Windows Vista x86-based Systems: Update for Windows Vista (KB937287)
- Download the Update for Windows Vista x64-based Systems: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB937287)
Note If you have other updates that are not finished intalling, restart your computer to let those installations finish and then try to install the updates again. Otherwise, you might receive the following error message:
When you try to install Internet Explorer 8 on a Windows Vista RTM computer that does not have these two updates installed, you receive the following error message:
The update does not apply to your system.
Setup cannot continue because one or more updates required to install Windows Internet Explorer 8.0 are not present. Double-click the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to install them separately and then reinstall Windows Internet Explorer 8.0.
- To add an Internet Explorer icon to your desktop to open your home page, you can use this Microsoft Fix it automated solution.
- For more information about Internet Explorer 8, visit the Internet Explorer home page.
- To get help and support information for Internet Explorer 8, visit the Internet Explorer Solution Center.
Article ID: 956586 - Last Review: 09/30/2013 08:40:00 - Revision: 13.0
Windows Internet Explorer 8
- kbexpertisebeginner kbinfo kbhowto kbmsifixme kbfixme KB956586