Error message when you open a Word 2007 document that contains a damaged AutoShape object: "Word experienced an error trying to open the file"
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
On a computer that is running Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3), you cannot open a Word 2007 document that contains a damaged AutoShape object. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions. Check the file permissions for the document or drive. Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space. Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in WindowsTo resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Apply hotfix 956506.
For more information about hotfix 956506, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:956506 Description of the 2007 Office system hotfix package (Mso.msp): August 26, 2008
- Set the SkipCorruptedDrawingDataOnLoad registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Draw
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type SkipCorruptedDrawingDataOnLoad, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click SkipCorruptedDrawingDataOnLoad, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Drawing conversion failed.When this occurs, you must re-create the AutoShape object in the Office file.
Article ID: 956951 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 17:51:43 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Office Word 2007
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbqfe kberrmsg kbexpertisebeginner kbsurveynew kbprb KB956951