This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Source: Microsoft Support
RAPID PUBLISHING ARTICLES PROVIDE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM WITHIN THE MICROSOFT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO EMERGING OR UNIQUE TOPICS, OR IS INTENDED SUPPLEMENT OTHER KNOWLEDGE BASE INFORMATION.
After upgrading a Windows Server 2008 Standard system with the Hyper-v role installed to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter edition you may encounter some of the following issues
· Hyper-V does not appear as installed role
· Hyper-V Manager will not display any configured virtual machines
· Any previous virtual machine configuration files stored in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-v\Virtual Machine are missing
· Hyper-V Image Management service does not start or is missing
· Hyper-V Networking Management Service does not start or is missing
· Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service does not start or is missing
Hyper-V role is not migrated when upgrading from one version of Windows Server 2008 to another version.
To prevent this issue from occurring, follow these steps:
1. In Hyper-V manager Export all virtual machines.
2. Using Server Manager remove the Hyper-V role.
3. Run upgrade.
For more information about the update package see the following knowledge base article:
950050 Description of the update for the release version of the Hyper-V technology for Windows Server 2008
4. Recreate the virtual machines using the existing VHD files.
MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.