The Add Object Wizard displays only 500 objects even if more objects exist in System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You use the Add Groups button or the Add Object button when you are creating a report in Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1). You expect that more than 500 objects will be displayed in the Add Object Wizard. However, only the first 500 objects are displayed.
This problem occurs because a 500-object limitation causes only the first 500 objects to be displayed. This is by design.
Update InformationThis fix is contained within the Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 update. To see a list of issues are fixed and how to obtain the cumulative rollup, refer to this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
971541 Description of System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1
Hotfix informationTo resolve this issue, you must install the hotfix, and then create a new registry key. After you do this, you can increase the display limit as necessary. A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix, you must have System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 installed on the computer. This hotfix must be applied to each computer that meets the following criteria:
- The computer hosts an Operations Manager 2007 Operations Console.
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
Hotfix installation instructionsTo extract the hotfix files that are contained in this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Copy theSystemCenterOperationsManager2007-SP1-KB963005-X86-X64-ENU.MSI file to either a local folder or to an available network shared folder.
- Run the SystemCenterOperationsManager2007-SP1-KB963005-X86-X64-ENU.MSI file locally on each applicable computer that meets the predefined criteria.
You can run the SystemCenterOperationsManager2007-SP1-KB963005-X86-X64-ENU.MSI file from Windows Explorer or from a command prompt.
Post-installation instructionsImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
After you install this hotfix on a computer that is hosting the Operations Manager Console, you can create a registry key to manually set the maximum object limitation in the Add Object Wizard. If no registry key exists, the default behavior is to return a maximum of 500 objects.
To create the registry key, follow these steps:
- On a computer that is hosting the Operations Manager Console, close all instances of the Operations Manager 2007 Operations Console.
- Start Registry Editor by using the user account that is used to run the console.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Console
- Create a new DWORD value key that is named MaximumSearchItemLimit, and then assign it a decimal value to reflect the number of objects that you want to display. For example, use a value of 1000 if you want to limit the maximum number of objects to 1000 instead of the default of 500.
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Console
Value: 0 to 65535
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Start the Operations Manager 2007 Operations console, and then start a report that uses the Add Group or Add Object buttons.
- Click the Search button in the Add Object dialog box. The number of available items are now displayed up to the MaximumSearchItemLimit setting.
- Repeat steps 1 through 7 on all computers that are hosting the Operations Manager Console Role computers.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.This problem was first corrected in Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2.
For a list of issues that are fixed in Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, refer to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge base:
971410 List of issues that are fixed in System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 963005 - Last Review: 01/15/2015 19:29:37 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbbug kbfix kbqfe KB963005