When you use System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 to capture an image of Windows Vista SP2 or of Windows Server 2008 SP2, the image capture process fails during the "Prepare Windows for Capture" stage
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You have a computer that is running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2). When you try to capture an image, the image capture process of System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) fails during the Prepare Windows for Capture stage.
Additionally, the following message is logged in the Smsts.log file:
Sysprep binaries do not match the current OS version.
In Windows Vista SP2 and in Windows Server 2008 SP2, the version of the operating system is 6.0.6002. However, the version of the Sysprep.exe file is 6.0.6001.
During the image capture process, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 checks whether the file version of the Sysprep.exe file is equal to or larger than the version of the operating system. If this check is false, the process stops and you receive the error message that is mentioned in Symptoms.
Hotfix InformationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix, you must have System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 installed on the computer.
You need to install this hotfix package (970093) on System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1-based site servers. A package is created after the hotfix is installed. You need to deploy the created package to all System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1-based clients.
Restart RequirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix Replacement InformationThis hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
File InformationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
After the hotfix is applied, you have to update all boot images to include the fix inside the boot images. To do this, follow these steps:
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
|Mcs.msi||Not Applicable||7,096,320||01-Dec-2008||12:20||Not Applicable|
|Mp.msi||Not Applicable||9,236,992||30-Nov-2008||23:40||Not Applicable|
|Sccm2007ac-sp1-kb970093-x86.msp||Not Applicable||480,256||01-Dec-2008||12:20||Not Applicable|
- Open the Configuration Manager Console window.
- Locate the boot images under Computer Management\Operating System Deployment\Boot images.
- Right-click every boot image, and then select Update Distribution Points.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.
Install KB970093 during a task sequenceFor operating system deployments, the KB970093 hotfix must be installed during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence in the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr task. Otherwise, the problem will continue to occur while the task sequence is executed. Additionally, the Install Software task cannot be used to install the hotfix. Trying to do this will cause the ConfigMgr 2007 client service to stop, which will cause the task sequence to fail.
To install the KB9970093 hotfix during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence, use the PATCH= option that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
907423 How to include an update in the initial installation of Systems Management Server 2003 Advanced ClientTo install the KB970093 hotfix during a ConfigMgr 2007 OSD task sequence, follow these steps:
- Apply the hotfix on the site server.
- When the hotfix has been applied on the site server, the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files will be updated to include the KB970093 hotfix in the \i386\hotfix\KB970093\ directory of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files. Because the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files have been updated, make sure that you update the distribution points where the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package resides.
- Right-click the task sequence that you need to change, and then click Edit.
- Click Setup windows and ConfigMgr.
- In the Installation properties box, type the following:PATCH="C:\_SMSTaskSequence\OSD\<Package_ID>\i386\hotfix\KB970093\SCCM2007AC-SP1-KB970093-x86.msp"
- The <Package_ID> placeholder is the package ID of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package in ConfigMgr 2007.
- Make sure that you include the quotation marks as part of the path. However, do not include the brackets that are around the placeholder.
- Make sure that the package ID of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation package is used and not the package ID of the KB970093 hotfix package.
- The _SMSTaskSequence cache folder will reside on the drive that has the most disk space. If the computer has multiple drives or partitions, the _SMSTaskSequence folder may end up on a drive other than drive C. In this scenario, change the path to point to the drive that contains the _SMSTaskSequence folder. We do not recommend that you use the variable _SMSTSMDataPath in the path because the drive letter in this path can enumerate differently in Windows PE and in the full Windows operating system.
- As an alternative to using the local path that points to the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files that are located in the local Task Sequence cache, you can specify a UNC path that points to the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files on the original package source or on a distribution point.
- Verify the name of the .msp file that is located in the \i386\hotfix\KB970093\ directory of the ConfigMgr 2007 client installation files. The name may differ depending on the locale. If the name differs from the name of the .msp file name that is used in the PATCH= command line in this step, adjust the name accordingly.
- Click Apply or OK to save the task sequence.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
969991 When you use System Center Configuration Manager 2007 RTM to capture an image of Windows Vista S or of Windows Server 2008 S, the image capture process fails during the Prepare Windows for Capture stage
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 970093 - Last Review: 01/16/2015 03:54:40 - Revision: 12.0
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbexpertiseinter kbautohotfix kbsurveynew kbbug kbfix kbqfe KB970093