Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 are not listed as supported platforms in Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 3
On System Management Server 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)-based systems, the following products are not listed as supported platforms for software distribution, software update management, or desired configuration management:
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
This problem occurs because these platforms were not included in Systems Management Server 2003 SP3 as supported platforms for software distribution, for software update deployment or desired configuration management.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
Note This update must be installed on all SMS 2003 SP3 site servers and on all workstations that run the SMS 2003 Administrator console.
PrerequisitesYou must have Systems Management Server 2003 SP3 installed to apply this hotfix.
Restart requirementYou have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix replaces hotfix 953027.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
|Update.sql||Not Applicable||37,072||31-Jul-2007||20:10||Not Applicable|
After you apply this hotfix, follow these steps on the SMS site database server:
- Stop the following services:
- Find the Update.sql script in the following folder: Drive:\SMS\Logs\KB971225Note In this step, the Drive placeholder represents the drive on which SMS 2003 is installed.
- Open the Update.sql script in a Microsoft SQL Server query tool, and then run this script against the SMS database. To do this, follow these steps:
- Copy the Update.sql file to the SMS 2003 database server.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server, and then click Query Analyzer.
- Connect to the SQL server.
- On the Query menu, click Change Database.
- Click the name of the SMS database, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- Open the SMS\Logs\KB971225 folder, click Update.sql, and then click Open.
- On the Query menu, click Execute.
- Start the following services:
To work around this problem, click to select the This program can run on any platform check box for software distribution program configurations. Then, click to select the All Windows Platforms check box for configuration items.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
If either of the hotfixes that are described in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles 953027 and 971225 were downloaded and installed before December 15, 2009, and if any of the following platforms were explicitly set within the properties for specific program, these platforms were unselected after you installed those hotfixes:
- The x64 version of Windows Server 2003 R2 original release (SP1)
- The x86 version of Windows Server 2003 R2 original release (SP1)
- The x86 version of Windows Vista RTM
- The x64 version of Windows Vista RTM
If you downloaded and then installed the hotfix that is described in KB 971225 after December 15, 2009, this issue does not occur.
After you install this hotfix, the following products are added as the supported platforms:
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 IA-64 version
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x64 version
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x64 version
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x86 version
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x86 version
971223 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 are not listed as supported platforms in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1
971224 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 are not listed as supported platforms in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 RTM
953027 Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, and Windows XP Service Pack 3 are not listed as supported platforms for software distribution, update management, or desired configuration management in Systems Management Server 2003
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 971225 - Last Review: 10/07/2011 19:24:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 3
- kbautohotfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbbug kbfix kbqfe KB971225