Error message when you insert your smart card into a smart card reader after you upgrade to Windows 7: "The card is available for use"
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a smart card reader that works on a computer that is running Windows Vista.
- You upgrade the computer to Windows 7.
- You insert a smart card into the smart card reader that is connected to the computer that is running Windows 7.
The card is available for use. However, the card is not the one being requested and cannot be used for the current operation.
This problem may occur because the smart card reader driver does not correctly start the Certificate Propagation service (Certpropsvc). If the Certificate Propagation service does not start, the certificates on the smart card are not copied to the system.
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
- Method 1: Update the driver for the smart card reader to the latest version.
- Method 2: Manually start the Certificate Propagation service. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- At the command prompt, type net start certpropsvc, and then press ENTER.
- Click Start, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
fail to read smart cards certprop not started
Article ID: 973273 - Last Review: 07/08/2009 20:53:04 - Revision: 1.1
Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate
- kbexpertisebeginner kbbug kbinfo kbtshoot kbsurveynew kbprb KB973273