ACC: "Circular Reference Caused by Alias" Error Message
This article was previously published under Q97526
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Novice: Requires knowledge of the user interface on single-user computers.
When you try to run a query, the query fails, and you receive the followingerror message:
Circular reference caused by alias '<field name>' in query definition's SELECT list.
The alias, or label, of a calculated field cannot be identical to any ofthe field names used to calculate the field.
Change the name of the alias or label used by the calculated expression orlet Microsoft Access automatically assign an alias or label.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Open the sample database Northwind.mdb (or NWIND.MDB in versions 1.x and 2.0).
- Create the following query based on the Products table:
Query: Test Query ----------------------------------- Type: Select Query Field: UnitPrice: [UnitPrice]/100 Table: Products
NOTE: In versions 1.x and 2.0, there is a space in the Unit Price field name.
- On the Query menu, click Run. Note that you receive the following error message:
Circular reference caused by alias 'UnitPrice' in query definition's SELECT list.
To resolve the error, replace the UnitPrice label with Price. For example:
Field: Price: [UnitPrice]/100
NOTE: In versions 1.x and 2.0, there is a space in Unit Price.
For more information about renaming fields in queries, search the HelpIndex for "Renaming fields," or ask the Microsoft Access 97 OfficeAssistant.
Article ID: 97526 - Last Review: 01/18/2007 22:37:57 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft Access 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 1.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
- kberrmsg kbprb kbusage KB97526