MS10-017: Description of the security update for Excel 2003: March 9, 2010
Microsoft has released security bulletin MS10-017. To view the complete security bulletin, visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites:
- Home users:Skip the details: Download the updates for your home computer or laptop from the Microsoft Update Web site now:
- IT professionals:
How to obtain help and support for this security updateHelp installing updates: Support for Microsoft Update
Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware:Virus Solution and Security Center
Local support according to your country: International Support
Known issues with this security update
- After you install this security update, you may notice that the title of the update is listed in Chinese Simplified script instead of English in the Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Note This issue does not affect the functionality of the security update. This is a text mismatch issue only.
To resolve the issue, follow these steps:
- Uninstall the security update.
- Visit the Microsoft Download Center page to reinstall the security update: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7e42793e-747b-48da-968a-1ec29ea37151Alternately, you can download the Excel 2003 update directly with the following link:
Download the office2003-KB978474-FullFile-ENU.exe package now.
Workaround 1To work around this issue, you can change the registry entry for MS10-017 by using Reg.exe to correct the display text in the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel item.
Important note This script is provided as is. It is intended as a sample only. Microsoft offers no warranty or support for this script. Use this script at your own risk.The parent installer registry key for this particular product will change based on language of the Excel 2003 product that is being used:
- The parent key for English systems: 9040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C
- The parent key for Spanish systems: A0C0110900063D11C8EF10054038389C
- The parent key for German systems: 7040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C
- The parent key for Japanese systems: 1140110900063D11C8EF10054038389C
- Create a backup copy of the registry keys by using the following command from an elevated command prompt: REG EXPORT HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\90403E1900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches\7DC3DBE3862DA2449A52E2C25C899D8E KB978474_BkUp.reg
- Import the updated registry key by using the following command from an elevated command prompt: REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\9040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches\7DC3DBE3862DA2449A52E2C25C899D8E /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB978474): EXCEL" /fNote For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 only, you must first take ownership of this registry key.
How to undo the workaroundTo restore the original state, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
REG IMPORT KB978474_BkUp.reg
Workaround 2The following script adds an additional command line script that will determine the exact key that is being used if you are unsure of the client base and have a mixed environment that contains multiple languages.
@Echo offREG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products" /s | find "7DC3DBE3862DA2449A52E2C25C899D8E" > 978474_out.txtfor /f %%a in (978474_out.txt) do REG ADD "%%a" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB978474): EXCEL" /fDel 978474_out.txt /qexit
Prerequisites to apply this security updateTo install this security update, you must have Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed on the computer.
For more information about how to obtain this service pack, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
870924 How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
Security update replacement informationThis security update replaces the following security update:
973475 MS09-067: Description of the security update for Excel 2003: November 10, 2009
Removal informationTo remove this security update, use the Add or Remove Programs item or use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
File informationThe English (United States) version of this security update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Security update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB978474)
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
update security_patch security_update security bug flaw vulnerability malicious attacker exploit registry unauthenticated buffer overrun overflow specially-formed scope specially-crafted denial of service dos 2003 patch performance security stability update 32-bit 978474 office
Article ID: 978474 - Last Review: 05/08/2012 22:16:00 - Revision: 7.0
Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- kbexpertisebeginner kbsurveynew kbsecvulnerability kbsecurity kbsecbulletin kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbbug atdownload KB978474