Error code when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates on a computer that has SQL Server 2005 installed: "0x737D"
When you install updates by using Windows Update or Microsoft Update, you receive the following error code:
Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete.Note Microsoft SQL Server 2005 may be installed on your computer when you install applications such as Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Mail.
This issue occurs because the installation of an update to SQL Server 2005 is not completed.
To resolve this problem, complete the installation of the update to SQL Server 2005, and then enable additional updates.
To do this, follow these steps.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
- Select the instance of SQL Server 2005 to repair, and then click Change.
- In the Component Selection window, click Database Engine, and then click Next.
- In the Feature Maintenance window, click Database Engine, and then click Next.
- In the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup window, click Next.
- In the System Configuration Check, click Next.
- In the Change or Remove Instance window, click Complete the suspended installation.
- In the Error and Usage Report Settings window, click Next.
- In the Ready to Update window, click Install.
- In the Setup Progress window, click Next, and then click Finish.
- After the installation is complete, start Windows Update, and then check for updates.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
WindowsUpdate_737D, WindowsUpdate_0000737d, 737d, 0x0000737d
Article ID: 978597 - Last Review: 01/22/2010 07:42:09 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition
- kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbsurveynew kbprb KB978597