"404 not found" error message when you use a publishing site on Internet-facing sites in SharePoint Server 2010
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
You provision a publishing site that uses the People search scope in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. When you use this site on Internet-facing sites, you receive the following error message:
404 not found.
Search scopes are provisioned separately from the Search Center when you create a site collection. The Search Center is created later by a publishing portal template or by an administrator. If you select Basic Search Center, you do not have a People results page. This is because Basic Search Center is primarily intended for the SharePoint Server 2010 stock keeping unit (SKU). In the SharePoint Server 2010 SKU, the People search and the People search scope do not exist.
To work around this problem, remove the People search scope or upgrade the Search Center to the Enterprise Search Center.
To remove the People search scope, follow these steps:
- Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page, in the Site Collection Administration section, click Search scopes.
- On the View Scopes page, click Display Groups.
- Click the arrow next to Search Dropdown, and then click Edit Display Group.
- Clear the People check box, and then click OK.
Article ID: 981235 - Last Review: 12/12/2015 03:40:58 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot kbsurveynew kbprb KB981235