You experience search related errors after you enable "Use a dedicated web front end computer for crawling" setting in Office SharePoint Server 2007
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Consider the following scenario:
- You install Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
- You configure an IPv6 address for the Windows Server.
- You enable "Use a dedicated web front end computer for crawling" setting in Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- Crawl cannot start.
- Search setting page errors occur.
- Central Admin cannot be opened on the indexer server.
This problem occurs because Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 has a static IPV6 address configured. In this situation, Office SharePoint Server incorrectly writes a link-local IPV6 address to the hosts file of the server. However, the hosts file only supports IPV4 address or IPV6 address. Therefore, the link-local IPV6 address causes the search related errors described in the Symptoms section.
To resolve this problem, apply both of the following hotfix packages:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 981452 - Last Review: 12/12/2015 03:45:37 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbqfe KB981452