Type over text in Word for Mac

Note: This article has done its job, and will be retiring soon. To prevent "Page not found" woes, we're removing links we know about. If you've created links to this page, please remove them, and together we'll keep the web connected.

When you are editing text in overtype mode in a Word document, typing new characters replaces any existing characters to the right side of the insertion point.

Turn on overtype mode

  1. On the Word menu, click Preferences.

  2. Under Authoring and Proofing Tools, click Edit, and then in the Edit dialog box, select Replace existing text as you type (Overtype mode).

    Replace existing text as you type (Overtype mode) is highlighted in the Word Preferences Edit dialog box.

    Note: To turn off overtype mode, clear the check box next to Replace existing text as you type (Overtype mode).

Type over existing text

  • In your document, click where you want to type over the existing text and begin typing. The new characters you type replace the characters to the right.

Expand your Office skills
Explore training
Get new features first
Join Office Insiders

Was this information helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like it might be helpful to connect you to one of our Office support agents.