Personalise the start screen
- To pin an app to the start screen, swipe left, tap and hold the app, and tap pin to start. You can also pin contacts and websites.
- To move a tile, tap and hold the tile, drag and drop it to the new location, and tap the screen.
- To resize a tile, tap and hold the tile, and tap the arrow icon.
- To remove a tile from the start screen, tap and hold the tile, and tap the pin icon.
Change the background photo
- To change the photo on your lock screen, on the start screen, swipe left, tap settings > lock screen, under Background, tap the list and select photo > change photo, choose a photo from the gallery, pinch it with your fingers to zoom in and out, then tap crop.
- To change the background photo in the Photos hub tile, tap Photos > … > settings. Switch Start Tile shows to single photo. Tap choose photo, select the photo, and tap the done icon.
Change your background or accent color
- On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Settings > theme and Background or Accent color
- To enable black accent, go to Settings > ease of access and switch High contrast toggle to On. Note that this setting hides your lock screen background; you will see either white or black on lock screen depending upon the Background you have chosen in your lock screen settings. By default High Contrast mode is switched Off (Settings > ease of access > High contrast).
Add notifications to the lock screen
- You can freely decide which app notifications, such as missed calls or new messages, you want to see on the lock screen. On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > lock screen, tap a notification slot, and select the app you want to add.
Change your ringtone and phone tones
- On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > ringtones+sounds, select the type of ringtone or alert you want to change, and select the sound.
- If you have an mp3 file of a song on your PC, you can make it your ringtone. Connect your phone to your PC, and use the file manager of your PC to move the song you want to use as a ringtone to the ringtone folder in your phone. To set the song as your ringtone, in the ringtones+sounds view, tap Ringtone, and under Custom, tap the song. You can use a song as your ringtone if it's not protected with digital rights management (DRM), and it’s smaller than 30 MB. Your PC must have Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
Change the font size
- On the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > ease of access, and drag the Text size slider.
Filter your contacts
- If you do not want to see all your contacts from different social networking accounts in your contacts list, tap People > … > settings > filter my contacts list, and select the accounts whose contacts you want to see.
Switch off word suggestions when writing
- If you do not want your phone to automatically offer suggestions when you write, on the start screen, swipe left, tap Settings > keyboard, tap your language keyboard, and clear the Suggest text check box.
Article ID: 12499 - Last Review: 17 May 2016 - Revision: 10