- You’re running Windows Server 2012 R2 on a computer that has an attached uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or on a laptop.
- This Windows Server 2012 R2-based system has the Hyper-V role installed and is hosting virtual machines.
- The battery is running out of power.
- The host operating system shuts down because of the low battery condition.
- After you restart the computer, you notice the virtual machines are in a Stopped state and that errors are logged in the virtual machine event logs.
Event ID: 18590
'Guestname' has encountered a fatal error. The guest operating system reported that it failed with the following error codes: ErrorCode0: 0xEF, [additional variable information]
Source: Event Log
The previous system shutdown at Time on Date was unexpected.
Note This behavior does not apply when the system is shut down by third-party UPS software.
Article ID: 3058418 - Last Review: 06 May 2015 - Revision: 1