In this situation, you may see one or more of the following crash signatures under event ID 1000 in the Application log:
|Application name||Module name||Offset|
3114707 February 9, 2016, update for Outlook 2016 (KB3114707)
To fix this issue in Outlook 2013, install the September 8, 2015, update for Outlook 2013. For information about this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
3085495 September 8, 2015, update for Outlook 2013 (KB3085495)
Method 1: Have the sender of the attachment reduce the file name to fewer than 144 characters and send it again.
Method 2: Access the attachment in Outlook Web App.
- In Control Panel, open the Administrative Tools item.
- Double-click Event Viewer.
- In the details pane, select Application under Windows Logs.
- In the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log.
- In the Filter Current Log dialog box, enter 1000 (as shown in the following screen shot), and then click OK.