A brief video has been published to channel 9 to help explain onboarding, and Administrator Management
Please Note: The Visual Studio subscriptions team is working to keep information flowing through the "Subscriptions-Administration" page. A full version of the FAQ can also be downloaded here. We are working on new content, and those artifacts will be available soon.
Migration Process Overview
A new Visual Studio Subscription Management portal is now available for Volume Licensing customers. The transition to the new subscriptions management portal is made in two phases, onboarding and migration. The onboarding phase is described in detail in this article. When the final phase (i.e. migration) is complete, Administrators are enabled to manage your organization’s Visual Studio Subscriptions at https://manage.visualstudio.com, by unlocking user benefits, services, support, and more.
- Refer to Visual Studio Subscriptions: Administrator Migration – Details for more information on migration and onboarding.
What Are the Stages of the Onboarding Process?
Sign In using the invitation email. An email is sent to the Primary and Notices Contacts inviting them to complete the onboarding process. The Primary and Notices Contact will then need to provide the PCN (located in VLSC) and Sign In, using the unique link provided in the invitation email they receive.
Setting Up Administrators. The Primary and Notices contacts are automatically set up as Super Admins and can further manage the list of Administrators (previously known as Subscription Administrators). Ideally, this should be completed prior to your organization's migration date so you don't have any interruption in managing your subscriptions.
Accessing the new subscription management portal. Once your organization is migrated, emails will be sent to the "Super Admins" and "Administrators" inviting them to access the new portal (https://manage.visualstudio.com), and begin managing subscriptions.
- Refer to How to Start the Onboarding section below for instructions on the process.
1. The Primary or Notices Contact can start the onboarding process for their organization.
Click on Get Started button in the invitation email received. The Sign In page is displayed.
- For those of you that are administrators, you may want to let your Primary or Notices Contacts know that this email will be coming to them. If you don't know who your Primary or Notices Contact is, refer to Visual Studio Subscriptions: Administrator Migration - Primary Contact article.
- If the Primary or Notices Contacts receive more than one email, this means that they have more than one Public Customer Number (PCN). They will need to complete the process using the unique link for the PCN referenced in each email.
2. Enter your email address when prompted. Once the email address is validated, you'll be directed to the appropriate portal in order to start the onboarding process.
If your organization is using Azure Active Directory (AAD), you have to use your work/ school account.
If your organization is using Personal Accounts (aka Microsoft Accounts), you have to use that email address instead.
3. Once on the landing page, an overview of the 3-step process you need to complete is displayed.
Provide the "Public Customer Number" or "Authorization Number". Refer to Visual Studio Subscriptions: Administrator Migration - Locate PCN article.
Set up your administrators.
Once your organization has migrated, you'll be able to manage your organization's subscriptions in the new portal.
Depending on your sign in requirements, an option to switch to a Personal Account (aka Microsoft Account) is also available.
Click on "Next".
4. Enter your PCN in the pop-up window and then click on "Next". This will set your account with "Super Admin" rights.
- In order to obtain the entire PCN, the Primary Contact will need to sign in to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- For more details on locating the PCN and how-to screenshots, refer to the VLSC or FAQs links provided in this pop-up window.
5. Manage administrators in the "Manage Administrators" screen.
The Super Admin Role. Managing Administrators
Super Admin Role
Super Admins are Primary or Notices Contacts that launched the onboarding process from the invitation email received.
The role is automatically assigned to these contacts once they sign in and provide the PCN.
Super Admins are able to set up Administrators or additional Super Admins
A Super Admin can manage both Administrators and Subscribers from their respective management screen
Administrators can only assign subscriptions by accessing the "Manage Subscribers" tab.
Adding an Administrator with Super Admin Rights
1. Access the "Manage Administrators" section.
2. Click on "Add" to create a new Administrator.
3. Fill in all requested details in the pop-up window and then click on "Add".
Email address: provide the email they'll use to sign in to the portal.
Enable/ disable Super Admin capabilities for the newly added user, by checking the "Super Admin" box.
- If your organization has a different address/ account for receiving emails, you now have an option to enter a "Communication" address. Click on "Different email for communication than sign in? "
Rene uses email@example.com when he signs in using his company credentials. However, Rene's company only uses that address to manage directory access. When sending and receiving emails, Rene uses firstname.lastname@example.org, so his Super Admin has entered a second address to ensure he receives the welcome mails. If your company is not configured in this way, then simply entering the "Sign-in Email Address" should be sufficient.
- If the PCN you are onboarding has more than one agreement under it, you can provide your administrator with access to all/ only some of the agreements. Select the PCN you'd like them to manage, by clicking on the drop down list under "Agreements". The dropdown functionality under "Agreements" is disabled when there is only one agreement available.
4. Super Admin users are indicated by a Green Check icon added to the Super Admin column.
Adding an Administrator without Super Admin Rights
The same process as described above should be followed in order to add administrators without Super Admin rights, but taking into account the following aspects:
- When adding Administrators without Super Admin rights, there is no need for an additional email address to be added, and the Super Admin checkbox remains blank.
- Users without Super Admin rights do not receive the Green Check icon in her profile configuration entry under "Manage Administrators".
Editing an Administrator's Profile
Follow the steps below to edit an Administrator's profile:
1. Highlight the individual that you want to make changes to.
2. Click on the ellipses and then select "Edit" from the dropdown list.
3. Make all the necessary changes in the "Edit Administrator" pop-up window and then click "Save".
Resending the Notification Email(s)/ Deleting Administrators
If for some reason, the Administrator doesn't receive their Welcome Email, you can resend the email.
1. Select the impacted user in the "Manage Administrators" section.
2. Either click on the "Resend" button,
Click on the ellipses and then select "Resend" from the dropdown list.
You can also select multiple users by holding down the "Ctrl" key while you select the individuals with your mouse.
3. Click on "Confirm" to resend the notification email to the selected user(s).
Note: Follow the same process described in this section in order to delete users.
If you are performing any of the actions above AFTER your organization has been migrated, you'll see a "Success" message. If you perform these actions prior to your migration, like we did, you'll see a notification that emails will be sent automatically after the migration. If you choose to delete an admin, that action will take effect immediately.
One last item to note is that if your organization has more than one PCN, the Primary and Notices Contacts will receive multiple emails. The documented Onboarding process must be followed for each PCN your organization may have. After onboarding is complete for all PCNs, you can toggle between the PCNs via the drop down.
Our Volume Licensing team members will be able to assist you by clicking here.
Alternatively, please use the "Contact Us" menu options available at https://www.visualstudio.com/subscriptions/support/.
- Click "Account, Subscription and Billing Support"
- From the available "Category" choose "Manage subscriptions for my team"
- From the available "Category" choose "Visual Studio Subscription" (formerly MSDN) - For Your Company
- Click "Assisted Support"
You will be directed to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) help page.
Id. de artículo: 4013931 - Última revisión: 09-03-2017 - Revisión: 13