This security update resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2:
- MS17-022 Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services
- MS17-021 Security update for DirectShow
- MS17-019 Security update for Active Directory Federation Services
- MS17-018 Security update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers
- MS17-017 Security update for Windows Kernel
- MS17-016 Security update for Internet Information Services
- MS17-013 Security update for Microsoft Graphics Component
- MS17-012 Security update for Microsoft Windows
- MS17-011 Security update for Microsoft Uniscribe
- MS17-010 Security update for Windows SMB Server
- MS17-009 Security update for Microsoft Windows PDF Library
- MS17-008 Security update for Windows Hyper-V
- The security fixes that are listed in the "Summary" section of this Security Only Quality Update (4012213) are also included in the March 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup, 4012216. Installing either update 4012213 or 4012216 installs the security fixes that are listed here.
- This Security Only Quality Update does not include security fixes for Internet Explorer. In order to obtain the security fixes for Internet Explorer, the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 4012204 should also be installed. Note that the Security Monthly Quality Rollup does contain security updates for Internet Explorer.
- If you use update management processes other than Windows Update and you automatically approve all security updates classifications for deployment, the March 2017 Security Only Quality Update 4012213, March 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup 4012216 , and the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 4012204 are deployed. We recommend that you review your update deployment rules to make sure the desired updates are deployed.
- This Security Only Quality Update is not applicable for installation on a computer on which the Security Monthly Quality Rollup or Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup from March 2017 (or a later month) is already installed. This is because those updates contain all of the security fixes that are included in this Security Only Quality Update.
- All future security and non-security updates for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows 8.1-based or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
How to obtain and install the update
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables.
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 file information
The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and MUM files (.mum) that are installed are not listed.