When HoloLens is learning or loading a space, you might see a brief message that says Trying to map your surroundings. If this message continues for more than a few seconds, or you see a Use in limited mode button, it means HoloLens is having trouble mapping the space.
If you use HoloLens in limited mode, you'll be able to open apps but you won't be able to place holograms in your environment. Once HoloLens can map your space again, you'll be able to return to normal mode.
If you see these messages often, try the following:
- Make sure you're in a well-lit room without a lot of direct sunlight.
- Make sure your device visor is clean. Learn how.
- Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi signal. If you enter a new environment that has no Wi-Fi or a weak signal, HoloLens won't be able to create a space for it. If you're in a space you've already saved and are having problems with Wi-Fi, load the space manually by going to Settings > System > Spaces.
- If you move around too quickly, HoloLens might enter limited mode. Try moving more slowly.
- If you're still having problems, run the Sensor Tuning app. Go to Settings > System > Utilities. Under Sensor tuning, select Open Sensor Tuning.