This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-8509 and CVE-2017-8511.
Note If you already have Office 2016 for Mac installed, and you don't want to receive Office for Mac 2011 updates, follow the steps in Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac to remove Office for Mac 2011.
In addition to the application improvements that are mentioned in this article, Office for Mac 2011 is now available as a subscription offering. For more information, see Office 365 frequently asked questions.
Improvements and fixes
This update fixes critical issues and also helps to improve security. This security update provides the latest fixes for Office for Mac 2011.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
This update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is provided together with Office. It automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date. To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
You can obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
For a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then click Show Files on the File menu.
- The Office for Mac 2011 14.7.5 update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
- To use AutoUpdate, start an Office for Mac program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
Before you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.7.5 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. (For example, start Microsoft Word.)
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, note the version number that is displayed. The version should be 14.1.0 or a later version.
Update replacement information
This security update replaces security update 3212221.