If you perform one of the following actions, the default SMTP Virtual Server snap-in does not appear in Internet Information Servers Manager Console:
- You remove Internet Information Services (IIS) components
- You remove and then reinstall Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) components
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Install the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
889100 How to obtain the latest service pack for Windows Server 2003
Method 2: Register the SMTP Virtual Server snap-in
- Quit IIIS Manager Console
- Open a command prompt on the server that is running IIS.
- Go the following directory at the command prompt:%systemroot%\system32\inetsrv
- At the command prompt, type the following command:regsvr32 inetmgr.dll
- Start IIS Manager Console. The default SMTP Virtual Server snap-in now appears.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
885655 IIS Manager does not start and you receive an error message when you use IIS and Windows Server 2003