A1: After you install this module, you must initialize Revenue/Expense Deferrals. For more information about how to resolve this problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q2: My deferral has been posted. How can I correct the GL accounts or amounts used on the remaining deferral entries? Or How do I do a partial void for the remaining entries left on my deferral?
A2: You are not able to simply edit the GL accounts or amounts on existing deferral transactions or partially void the remaining deferral entries not yet posted. To remedy this, you can void the entire deferral transaction and reenter it correctly. Use one of the following methods:
- VOID DEFERRAL ONLY: In the Void Deferral Transactions window, you can void the deferral transactions only. To open this window, point to Financial on the Transactions menu, point to Financial Deferral, and then click Void Deferral Transactions. In this window, select the module in which the original transaction was entered. Click the transaction that you want to void, and then click Void. Then use the Sales or Purchasing Retroactive Deferral window to re-set up the deferral entries again as needed.
- VOID ORIGINAL TRANSACTION AND DEFERRAL: In the Deferral Setup window, click Void Deferrals with Original Transactions. When you select this option, the deferral transactions are voided when you void the original transaction. To open the Deferral Setup window, point to Setup on the Tools menu, point to Financials, and then click Deferral. Now you can void the original transaction in the module it was entered in, and the deferral entries will be deleted along with it. Rekey the original transaction back in and re-set up the deferral for it.
- KEY OFFSETTING JE'S: Post the Deferral entry as is, and then key offsetting GL transactions to correct the accounts or offset the remaining entries not needed. To do this, click on Transactions, point Financial and click General and enter the adjusting journal entry and respective Transaction Date, accounts, etc. For audit trail purposes, be sure to write a good Reference that indicates the original JE it is offsetting. Post the offsetting entry.
Q3: Why do the deferral transactions post to periods that are closed in the Fiscal Period Setup window?
A3: The deferral transactions post to periods that are closed because the Auto Post into Closed Previous GL Periods setting or the Auto Post into Closed Future GL Periods setting is enabled in the Deferral Setup window. These settings work only when Automatically Post Through GL is selected in the Deferral Setup window.
To open the Deferral Setup window, point to Setup on the Tools menu, point to Financials, and then click Deferral.
Q4: How can I post transactions to future periods in Revenue/Expense Deferrals when I am registered for Multicurrency in Microsoft Dynamics GP, and the exchange rates on the future transactions are not yet entered?
A4: Revenue/Expense Deferrals does not have multicurrency functionality. You can see only the functional currency. The exchange rate is not considered for the transactions.
Q5: Is there a way to have Microsoft Dynamics GP prompt a user to enter a deferral on a transaction when the transaction is being entered?
A5: Currently, Microsoft Dynamics GP cannot automatically prompt a user to enter a deferral. The user must know to enter the deferral.
Q6: Is the Batch Approvals process available for Revenue/Expense Deferrals batches?
A6: There is no available method for using the Batch Approvals process in Revenue/Expense Deferrals. The Require Batch Approval check box is in the Posting Setup window for each module. Revenue/Expense Deferrals is not part of the core Microsoft Dynamics GP dictionary. Therefore, the Require Batch Approval check box is not included in this window.
Q7: I am able to post a deferral transaction even though the deferred amount does not match the distribution amount. Is this correct?
A7: You can defer only part of a distribution. You do not have to defer the total distribution. Microsoft Dynamics GP lets you post the transaction even if the deferral is not equal to the distribution amount.
Q8: What is the difference between the Balance Sheet posting method and the Profit/Loss posting method?
A8: When you use the Balance Sheet posting method, you identify two posting accounts:
- A profit-and-loss recognition account that you use together with the deferral transaction of each period. You use this account for recognition of the expense or of the revenue.
- A balance-sheet deferrals account that you use together with the initial transaction for the deferred revenue or for the deferred expense.
The profit-and-loss accounts include the following:
- An account that you use for the initial posting of the full amount of the original revenue or of the original expense.
- An account that you use to reverse the deferred revenue or the deferred expense. This account can be the same account as the original account.
- An account that you use to recognize the deferred revenue or the deferred expense. This account can be the same account as the original account.
- A deferrals account that you use to record the full deferred balance that was transferred from the original revenue account or from the original expense account.
- A deferrals transfer account. This account can be the same account as the deferrals account.
Q9: Is it possible to change the deferral posting method?
A9: After you select a deferral posting method for a series and then post a deferral transaction, we recommend that you not change the deferral posting method. If you must change the deferral posting method, you must first post all the unposted deferral transactions. Then, you can change the method in the Deferral Setup window. This change does not affect the deferral transactions that you already posted.
Q10: What is a retroactive deferral?
A10: A retroactive deferral lets you create distribution deferrals that apply to previously posted transactions that were created in the Sales series or in the Purchasing series. Retroactive deferral transactions should use the Profit/Loss posting method. This posting method lets you reverse the posted amount from the profit-and-loss account to which the amount was originally posted and then transfer that amount to a deferrals account.
Q11: Is it possible to enter a deferral on a journal entry in General Ledger in Microsoft Dynamics GP?
A11: You cannot enter a deferral on a journal entry in General Ledger. You must use the Deferral Document Entry window to enter a deferral in General Ledger. In this window, you specify the following information:
- The deferral account that you want to use
- The recognition account that you want to use
- The start date and the end date for the deferral
- The method that you want to use to calculate the deferred amounts
Q12: Which modules allow for Revenue/Expense Deferrals transactions?
- General Ledger
- Receivables Management
- Payables Management
- Sales Order Processing
- Purchase Order Processing
Q13: Is it possible to enter deferrals for transactions in a recurring batch?
A13: Currently, Revenue/Expense Deferrals cannot save transactions in a recurring batch.
Q14: Does RED integrate with Analytical Accounting?
A14: At this time, there is limited compatibility between RED and AA. To assign AA codes to RED deferral entries, your options are:
Option 1 - Post the batch to GL and add/edit the AA dimension codes in the GL Work batch before posting.
Option 2 - Post the batch in GL and then use the Edit Analysis window to add/edit the AA dimension codes. (To open this window, click on Transactions, point to Financial, point to Analytical Accounting and click on Edit Analysis.)
Option 3 - Enter default AA dimension codes on the Accounting Class in Analytical Accounting, so these default codes get assigned to the deferral entries. However, you would still need to use one of the two options above to make any changes to the AA data, if desired. (To open this window, click on Cards, point to Financial, point to Analytical Accounting and click on Accounting Class.)
NOTE: We encourage you to vote on this product suggestion in the MS Connect Product Suggestion database if you would like to see more compatibility between AA and RED be considered as a future enhancement:
מזהה פריט: 926648 - סקירה אחרונה: 12 במאי 2015 - תיקון: 1