Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC. A VPN connection can help give you a more secure connection to your company's network and the Internet (for example, when you’re at a coffee shop).
Before you can connect to a VPN, you must have a VPN profile on your PC. You can either:
- Create a VPN profile on your own.
- Set up a work account to get a VPN profile from your company.
Create a VPN profile
If you don't have a VPN profile on your PC, you'll need to create one. Before you start:
- If it’s for work, look for VPN settings or a VPN app on your company’s intranet site while you’re at work, or contact your company's support person.
- If it’s for a VPN service you subscribe to for personal use, visit the Store to see if there’s an app for that service, then go to the VPN service’s website to see if the VPN connection settings to use are listed there.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > VPN > Add a VPN connection.
- In Add a VPN connection, do the following:
- For VPN provider, choose Windows (built-in).
- In the Connection name box, type a friendly name (for example, My Personal VPN) for the VPN connection profile.
This is the VPN connection name to look for when you try to connect.
- In the Server name or address box, type the address for the VPN server.
- For VPN type, choose the type of VPN connection you want to create.
You’ll need to know which kind of VPN connection your company or VPN service uses.
- For Type of sign-in info, choose the type of sign-in info (or credentials) to use.
It might be a user name and password, one-time password, certificate, or a smart card if you’re connecting to a VPN for work.
- Enter your user name and password in the respective boxes (optional).
Connect to a VPN
When you have a VPN profile, you’re ready to connect.
- On the far right of the taskbar, select the Network icon ( or ).
- Select the VPN connection you want to use, then do one of the following depending on what happens when you select the VPN connection:
- If the Connect button displays under the VPN connection, select Connect.
- If VPN in Settings opens, select the VPN connection there, then select Connect.
- If you're prompted, enter your user name and password or other sign-in info.
When connected, the VPN connection name will display Connected underneath.
To quickly see if you’re connected to the VPN while you’re doing things on your PC, select the Network icon ( or ) on the far right of the taskbar, then see if the VPN connection says Connected underneath it.
आलेख ID: 20510 - पिछली समीक्षा: 11/04/2017 - संशोधन: 32