You cannot change your home page in Internet Explorer 8 or in Internet Explorer 7
When you use Windows Internet Explorer 8 or Windows Internet Explorer 7, you may experience any of the following symptoms:
- Your Internet Explorer home page has been changed to a different website than the one that you selected.
- You cannot change your home page selection to the website that you want.
- You reset your home page to the website that you want in Internet Options. However, after you restart the computer, your home page selection has again been changed to a different website.
This problem can occur for several reasons. Your computer may be infected with a virus, malicious code may have been run on the computer, or you may have installed third-party software that changed your home page setting.
Before you use the method that is described in this article, make sure that your computer has not been infected with a virus or malicious code by running an antivirus program. For more information, visit the following Microsoft website:
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfTo fix this problem manually, follow these steps:
- Click Start, in the Start Search box, type regedit.
- In the Programs list, click Regedit.exe.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
- Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
- Click Delete.
- Locate and then check the following three registry subkeys, and then change the values of the Default_Page_URL and Start Page entry to your desired website.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- Restart the computer.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email message.
आलेख ID: 2493729 - पिछली समीक्षा: 05/26/2014 10:58:00 - संशोधन: 2.1
Windows Internet Explorer 8, Windows Internet Explorer 7
- kbstepbystep kbinfo kbhowto kbexpertisebeginner KB2493729