When you try to play a file with Microsoft Windows Media Player and the required decompressor is not installed on the computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200)
One or more codecs required to open this content could not be found. (Error=C00D10D1)
This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 3.02 or later is not installed on your computer. Internet Explorer is required to install decompressors, which are files that enable you to play multimedia content. Although Internet Explorer is required to download decompressors, it does not have to be set up as the default browser.
- Your Internet security options are set too high to enable decompressors to be downloaded.
- Installation of the decompressor requires a restart of your computer but no restart occurred.
- The codec required to play the file is missing or damaged.
- You may be playing a file format that is not supported by Windows Media Player.
- A sound device (audio driver) is not installed.
- To install the latest version of Internet Explorer on your computer, go to the following Microsoft Web site:NOTE: Internet Explorer 5 is included with Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition. Do not try to reinstall Internet Explorer 5 in Windows 98 Second Edition.
- To lower the Internet security level to Medium, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Internet.
- On the Security tab, click Internet.
- Under Security Level For This Zone, move the slider to Medium or lower.
- Click OK.
- Restart your computer and try to play the file again.
For additional information about verifying, installing and troubleshooting audio codecs, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
141801 Troubleshooting Audio Codecs in Windows 95
191533 Media Player Cannot Play .avi File Using Indeo 4.x Codec
234019 Windows Media Player Invalid File Format Error Message
A codec is an algorithm used to compress and decompress sound or video files.
ID članka: 230687 - posljednja izmjena: 29. srp 2008. - verzija: 1