- In Exchange Admin Center, select Compliance Management > retention tags > > applied automatically to a default folder to create a default retention tag of the Conversation History type:
- Enter a name for the new tag, select a retention action, and then enter a retention period in days:
- Link the retention tag to a retention policy (select retention policies > ):
- Run the following command to apply the new policy to a mailbox:
Set-Mailbox email@example.com -RetentionPolicy "Archive Conversation After 1 day"Note The Archive Conversation After 1 day placeholder represents the retention policy name.
- If the period of the retention tag is less than seven days, you must run the following command to force the Managed Folder Assistant to apply the retention tag:
Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity firstname.lastname@example.orgNotes
- The Managed Folder Assistant is responsible for clearing the expired or old items from mailboxes. It runs only once every seven days in the Exchange Online service.
- You may have to find a mechanism to run the command on demand.
Skype for Business Server 2015, when configured with Exchange 2013, supports saving conversation history through the server. This lets any client endpoint access messages, including missed IMs and call log data. This article describes how the conversation history can be managed from a retention perspective by using Exchange retention policies.
Note This policy does not affect the litigation hold policies for a user, which are independently managed.