HoloLens periodically checks for system updates so you don't have to. When an update is available, it will be automatically downloaded and installed the next time your device is plugged in and connected to the Internet but isn't in use.
To manually check for updates, go to Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates. If the Settings app says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available
Installing the April 2018 update
The Windows 10 April 2018 update for HoloLens will automatically be delivered as a Windows Update at a later date, but you can also install it manually now. Note: Manually installing the Windows 10 April 2018 update will delete your personal files and settings.
- On your PC, install the latest version of the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).
- Open WDRT, and plug in your HoloLens to your PC using the micro-USB cable it came with. Select Microsoft HoloLens when it appears on the screen.
- On the next screen, select Install software, and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
If you used your device in the HoloLens Preview Program, you may see a message that says "Available software is older than that on your device." You can safely ignore this message and proceed with the installation.
Go back to a previous version
In some cases, you might want to go back to a previous version of Windows installed on your HoloLens. You can do this by performing a full device recovery, which will reset your HoloLens to the earlier version. Note: Going back to an earlier version will delete your personal files and settings.
To go back to a previous version:
- Make sure you don't have any phones or Windows devices plugged in to your PC.
- On your PC, download the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT).
- Download the HoloLens Anniversary Update recovery package.
- When the download is finished, open File Explorer > Downloads. Right-click the zipped folder you just downloaded, and select Extract all... > Extract to unzip it.
- Connect your HoloLens to your PC using the micro-USB cable it came with. (Even if you've been using other cables to connect your HoloLens, this one works best.)
- The tool will automatically detect your HoloLens. Select the Microsoft HoloLens tile.
- On the next screen, select Manual package selection and choose the installation file contained in the folder you unzipped in step 4. (Look for a file with the extension .ffu.)
- Select Install software, and follow the instructions to finish installing.
If the tool doesn't detect your HoloLens, try restarting your PC. If that doesn't work, select My device was not detected, choose Microsoft HoloLens, and follow the instructions.