After you upgrade a Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003-based (Windows SBS) computer to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2), the Help and Support feature is not available when you click Start. Additionally, you may also experience the following problems:
- When you type msinfo32.exe or helpctr.exe at a command prompt to try to start Help and Support manually, you receive the following error message:Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.
- The Help tab is not available in programs that are running on the upgraded Windows SBS-based computer.
- The Help tab is not available when you click some Help-related URLs in Event Viewer on the Windows SBS-based computer.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix, you must have Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 installed on the computer.
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
To work around this issue, you must reinstall the "Help and Support" service. To do this, follow these steps:
- Close all applications that use HelpCtr Service.
- At a command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
- %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpSvc.exe /regserver /svchost netsvcs /RAInstall
- %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HSCUpd.exe -i %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\hscmui.cab
- %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HSCUpd.exe -i %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\hscsp_l3.cab
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
文書番号:937231 - 最終更新日: 2011/10/08 - リビジョン: 1