Article ID: 2502576 - View products that this article applies to.
Consider the following scenario. You configure Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to connect to a Microsoft Exchange email account. Additionally, you configure the Exchange email account to use Cached Exchange Mode. When you start Outlook, you receive the following error message:
This issue can occur when a new offline folder (.ost) file is created for the same mailbox more than a few hundred times. Every time that a new .ost file is created, data is appended to the PR_PREDECESSOR_CHANGE_LIST property of the Inbox folder. When the PR_PREDECESSOR_CHANGE_LIST property exceeds 8 kilobytes (KB), Outlook displays the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
To work around this problem, use one or more of the following methods:
This error does not occur when your Exchange email account is configured in Online Mode. Additionally, this error does not occur when you use Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.
To check the size of the PR_PREDECESSOR_CHANGE_LIST property, follow these steps:
1. Download MFCMAPI from http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com.
2. Run MFCMAPI.exe.
3. On the Session menu, click Logon.
4. If you are prompted for a profile, select your profile name, and then click OK.
5. In the top pane, locate the line that corresponds to your mailbox, and then double-click it.
6. In the navigation pane (left-side pane), expand Root Container, and then expand IPM_SUBTREE.
7. Select Inbox.
8. In the right-side pane, locate PR_PREDECESSOR_CHANGE_LIST, and then double-click it.
9. In the Count of bytes text box, locate the number after the equal sign (=).
If the number is near, equal to, or greater than 8192, Outlook may display the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section.
Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.