When you use the Windows Product Activation Wizard to activate Windows Server 2003 by phone, you may receive the following error message when you type your confirmation ID and then click
The confirmation ID is invalid. Please check the number and try again.
This issue may occur if you activate Windows by phone after the 30-day activation grace period has expired.
Hotfix InformationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart RequirementYou must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Note After you install this hotfix and restart the computer, the 30-day activation grace period is reset.
Hotfix Replacement InformationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File InformationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
28-Aug-2003 00:39 5.2.3790.81 380,928 Licdll.dll
28-Aug-2003 00:39 5.2.3790.81 540,160 Winlogon.exe
If you not able to access the server because the product activation period has expired, install the hotfix by using one of the following methods.
Method 1: Install the hotfix in Safe modeTo install the hotfix in Safe mode, use the following steps:
- Download the hotfix to a temporary folder on another computer. For example, download the file to the C:\hotfix folder on a computer that you have access to.
- Double-click the hotfix file that you downloaded.
- When you are prompted, type the password that you were given, and then choose a folder to put the extracted executables in. For example, extract the files to C:\hotfix.
- Copy the Windowsserver2003-kb824345-x86-enu.exe file to a floppy disk. You can delete the *symbols.exe" file, it is not needed.
- On the computer that you want to activate Windows on, restart the computer, and then press the F8 key during startup to view the Startup menu.
- Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
- Log on to the computer, insert the floppy disk that has the hotfix, copy the Windowsserver2003-kb824345-x86-enu.exe file to the computer, and then open this file.
- Follow the hotfix installation instructions, and then restart the computer when you are prompted to do this. Let the computer start normally.
- Log on and activate Windows. You should now be able to activate successfully over the phone. If you still cannot activate Windows, proceed to Method 2.
Method 2: Manually replace the system files in recovery mode.To manually replace the system files in recovery mode, use the following steps:
Method 2: Replace system files by using the Recovery Console
- Download the hotfix to a temporary folder.
For example, download the file to the C:\hotfix folder.
- Move to the temporary folder, and then double-click the
- When you are prompted, type the password that you were given and then choose a folder to put the extracted executables in.
For example, extract the files to C:\hotfix.
- Click Start, click Run, type
C:\TempFolder\WindowsServer2003-KB824345-x86-ENU.exe -x, and then choose a path for the extracted files when you are prompted.
For example, type:
- Move to the temporary folder, and then open the \rtmqfe folder.
For example, move to the C:\hotfix\rtmqfe folder.
The following files will appear:
262841 Command-Line switches for Windows software update packages
- Copy the files from step 5 to a floppy disk.
- Remove the floppy disk.
- Start the computer by using the Recovery Console.
For additional information about how to start your computer using the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:326215 How to use the Recovery Console on a Windows Server 2003-based computer that does not start
- When you are at the Recovery Console command prompt, you can copy the files from the floppy disk to the following folder, where
Drive is the drive letter andWinDir is the folder where Windows is installed:Drive:\WinDir\System32
- Restart your computer.
- Install the hotfix that is described in this article.
- Restart your computer.
To work around this issue, use the following troubleshooting methods in the order that they are presented in. After you complete each step, test to determine whether the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, go to the next method.
- Verify that you type the confirmation ID correctly in the Windows Product Activation Wizard when you activate Windows by phone.
- Try to obtain another confirmation ID, and then type that confirmation ID in the Windows Product Activation Wizard when you activate Windows by phone.
- Activate Windows by using an Internet connection.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about Windows Product Activation, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
문서 ID: 824345 - 마지막 검토: 2008. 5. 29. - 수정: 1