Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
- Addressed issue where Windows Error Reporting doesn't clean up temporary files when there is a redirection on a folder.
- Updates to Internet Explorer 11’s navigation bar with search box.
- Addressed issue in Internet Explorer where undo is broken if character conversion is canceled using IME.
- Addressed issue in Internet Explorer where graphics render incorrectly.
- Addressed issue where some Windows clients receive a 0xc0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION error when trying to install drivers.
- Addressed issue where a race condition may cause a blue screen on the server when Windows Server uses IPSec.
- Addressed issue where Internet Explorer sometimes fails to display webpages correctly when a user installs Windows with the CopyProfile unattend setting.
- Re-release of MS16-087- Security update for Windows print spooler components.
- Security updates to Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Windows shell, Microsoft Uniscribe, Microsoft Edge, Windows scripting, Device Guard, Windows TPM, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Hyper-V, Windows kernel, and the Windows DHCP Server.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Client Improvement
Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability. It will only be offered to devices that have not installed the most recent updates and are not currently managed (e.g., domain joined).
Known issues in this update
|After installing this update, downloading updates using express installation files may fail.|| |
This issue has been resolved in KB4041688.
Some users who have the text size for icons set to a larger size (using Display Settings in Control Panel) may have issues launching Internet Explorer.
Reducing the text size for icons to a smaller value or using the Change the size of all items setting should alleviate this issue.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4038782.