If you run into problems downloading, installing, or updating the new Microsoft Edge
new Microsoft Edge, here are a few things you can try. The tips are listed in order, so start with the first one, see if that helps, and then continue to the next one if it doesn’t.
1. Check your operating system
Microsoft Edge is currently available on Windows 10, Windows 8 and 8.1, and Windows 7, 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64). It's also available on macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher.
2. Check network connectivity
- Check your network connection. For more info, see Fix network connection issues in Windows.
- Check your VPN. If you received a 403 error and are using VPN, the VPN might be blocking Microsoft Edge from downloading correctly. Try disconnecting from the VPN temporarily while you download and install Microsoft Edge.
3. Check your trusted sites
If you're using Internet Explorer to download Microsoft Edge, you might need to add officeapps.live.com to your browser's list of trusted sites.
- In Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet options.
- Select the Security tab, then select Trusted sites (with the green checkmark) > Sites.
- Under Add this website to the zone, type https://officeapps.live.com, select Add, and then select Close.
- Continue downloading and reinstalling Microsoft Edge.
If you’re a Windows user, you don’t need to uninstall Microsoft Edge before you reinstall it. Also, your history, cookies, and settings will be restored after the reinstall completes.
If you’re a Mac user, you’ll need to uninstall Microsoft Edge before you reinstall it, and your history, cookies, and settings won't be restored after the reinstall.
Here’s how to uninstall Microsoft Edge if you’re a Mac user:
- Open Finder and in the Applications folder, select Microsoft Edge.
- Select File > Move to Trash.
Here’s how to reinstall Microsoft Edge whether you’re a Windows or Mac user:
- Open any working browser. (Note: If you’re a Windows user and your Microsoft Edge is not currently functioning, to open Internet Explorer, type IE in the search box on the taskbar and then select Internet Explorer from the results. Or press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then type IE in the search bar.)
- Go to www.microsoft.com/edge to download and reinstall Microsoft Edge.
5. Restart your computer
If there's still a problem, restart your computer, and then try reinstalling Microsoft Edge again. To restart your computer, select Start > Power > Restart .
6. Contact support
If you're still having trouble, contact our support team.